Thursday, April 4, 2013

Roger Ebert

Very saddened to hear of the passing of Roger Ebert. He was by far the sharpest commentator around & a very class act. Our condolences to Chaz & company.

This has happened to me many times  - I'm surfing round the net for the obscure & cool stuff no one knows, but I love -  Walt Kelly, Jacques Tati... - among the 3 or 4 comments left by various eccentric internet epicureans there'll be Roger Ebert with a brilliant comment that I wish I could have written. A man was ubiquitous, with excellent taste & judgement all round.

A couple of years ago, through a mutual friend (thanks Marie!). the Eberts asked if I could make them a  little title card for their show - in a Saul Bass or Third Man theme, (it can never get cooler than that!!!). It's short, but here it is:

You can't top this quote from roger from the NY Times:

"His credo in judging a film’s value was a simple one: “Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions never lie to you.”

No comments: